This module summarizes the case of Mayo Clinic’s post-operative pain prescribing practices to highlight the development and implementation of prescribing guidelines by surgical area. The module addresses these developments within the context of the 2016 CDC Guidelines and the 2016 Minnesota draft guidelines for opioid prescribing. It explores the process of developing guidelines within the institution and this process’s effects on post-op prescribing.
- Summarize the risks and benefits of opioids prescribed for acute surgical pain
- Evaluate the existing CDC opioid prescribing guidelines in light of current evidence
- Describe Mayo Clinic’s historical surgical prescribing practices and patient-reported opioid consumption
- Recognize how multidisciplinary teams developed and implemented prescribing guidelines
- Describe how to access the publicly-available Mayo Clinic guidelines for opioid prescribing at discharge from surgery