This module will provide learners with an increased understanding of mechanisms of pain and current best practices for treating acute pain. It will discuss the effectiveness and side effects of common pain medications, assisting providers to safely and effectively treat acute pain with non-opioid medications.
- List the relative effectiveness of common pain medications
- Indicate the common side effects of available pain medications
- Describe the public health effects and costs of opioid prescriptions for acute pain
- Identify the four (4) main mechanisms of pain and their impact on acute pain
- Differentiate outcomes between common pain medications and opioid medications in managing acute pain