This course is designed to help providers discuss the following with colleagues and clients: addiction; competing philosophies in addiction treatment; opioid use disorder (OUD); addictive disorders in the setting of skilled nursing facilities (SNF); treatment of opioid use disorders in the setting of skilled nursing facilities, including screening and diagnosis; and key elements of an SNF-based treatment model.
- Define the criteria for the diagnosis of OUD
- Explain why SNF facilities and administrators may be reluctant to bring patients and residents with substance use disorders into their buildings
- List the states where Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs) are operational
- Describe key techniques associated with successful psychotherapy with people with substance use problems
- Identify the ways in which SNF facilities can ensure the safety of all residents and staff